Today was my first grocery trip during the challenge. I went to Meijer and here's what I got:
- 3 bananas .51
- 2 fresh carrots .43
- 1 onion .60
- 1 head of lettuce .59
- 1 lb strawberries .75
- 1 pkg raspberries 1.00
- 1 pkg blackberries 1.00
- 1 can kidney beans .79
- 1 can carrots .69
- 12 Dannon yogurts @ .60 each = 7.20 - 2 (.40) coupons doubled to .80. Paid 5.60
- 2 pkgs Dannon kids yogurt @ 1.99 each = 3.98 - 2 (1.00) coupons. Paid 1.98
- 4 Boxes of Jell-o Instant pudding @ .79 each = 3.16 - 2 (.50) coupons doubled to 1.00. Paid 1.16
- 1 Campbell's chicken noodle soup .50
- 1 pkg Aunt Millie's hamburger buns 1.00 - .55 coupon doubled to 1.00. Paid 0.00
- 2 cans of Reddi-Whip @ 1.79 each = 3.58 - 2 (.35) coupons doubled to .70. Paid 2.18
- 1 Meijer brand parmesan cheese 2.49
- 1 pkg Sargento sliced cheddar cheese 2.50 - 1.00 coupon. Paid 1.50
- 4 Smuckers ice cream toppings @ 1.67 each = 6.68 - 2 (1.00) coupons and 4 (.55) Mealbox coupons. Paid 2.48
My total for everything was 22.44.
I also ran into Target to get a baby gift and saw the Toy Story Mac n Cheese for .90, so I got one of those as well. So my total for the day is 23.34. So all together this week I've spent 45.12, which leaves me 54.88.
Our meals today:
Breakfast was scrambled eggs and peanut butter toast with oj to drink.
Lunch was sort of a hodge podge, the kids had leftover pizza from the weekend with a mix of berries, Daddy had a salad with berries and I had chicken noodle soup with berries.
Dinner tonight was the Asian Peanut Noodles with Chicken and Broccoli. I am in no way trying to pass off this meal as authentic asian. It's just our own take on it. But anyway, here's how I made it:
- 2 chicken breasts 5.11
- 1lb spaghetti (I use angel hair) 0.00 (with coupon)
- 1 bag frozen broccoli 0.00 (with coupon)
- 1 handful of peanuts, chopped .08 (paid .50 for a big jar with coupon!)
- 1 tblsp sesame seeds .20? (bought a long time ago, not sure of price)
- soy sauce to taste (we probably used about 1/4 cup total) .25
- 1 tsp garlic powder .05
- 1 tsp onion powder .05
- 4 fortune cookies .50
Meal total: 6.24
- Dice chicken and saute in olive oil with a little salt and pepper, until cooked through and lightly brown
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions
- Cook broccoli with whatever method you choose, we steam ours
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the cooked broccoli, 3/4 of the chopped peanuts, 1/2 the sesame seeds, the garlic and onion powders and a few shakes of soy sauce
- Once the noodles are ready, drain and sprinkle on a little oil to prevent sticking, then add the chicken and broccoli mixture to the pot
- Add more soy sauce as desired
- Dish onto plates and then sprinkle each plate with the remaining peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Serve with fortune cookies (optional of course!)
This one is pretty yummy. It's relatively new to us, we've made it I think 5 times now. I love it. I'm not one that does much measuring when I cook, so if you find the measurements don't work for you, then please adjust them to suit you. I'm only guessing as to how much we use!
For desert I made a quick banana pudding. I paid .29 for the box of instant pudding (after coupon), 2 cups of milk were .20 (1.59 per gallon at Aldi's!), and a dollop of Reddi-Whip was .27 (1.09 per can after coupon). So the desert total was .76! And it was delicious!
Sorry the picture is a little blurry and strangely colored tonight. I was in a hurry!! Well Day 2 is done, ready for Day 3!